Sunday, November 13, 2011

Balance of the Day: Yoga

In February 2010, I started my 200 Hour Yoga Alliance Teacher Certification, which I finished about a year ago now.  It was an introspective journey I considered for a long time - even back in 311 Monument days when the Wahsatch CorePower was one of my regular stops.  That was where I fell in love with yoga.  I love the community, the energy, and overall how it makes me feel.  When I leave yoga, I feel amazing.  I feel open and real, like my true self?  Plus, it didn't hurt that the wine store was basically next door.

But really.  Yoga is an amazing thing, and I really believe it makes me whole as a person.  The practice encompasses flexibility and strength with a one of a kind mind-body connection you do not get anywhere else.  I think that is what turns some people off about yoga, or maybe it's just something people who have not tried it cannot understand.  But the first time you truly let go in savasana, or the first time you realize you are effortlessly flowing through movement with breath, you will know what I mean.  And it's worth it.

Well today was my first yoga class in six months.  Woah.  It was amazing, but also rough.  Whenever I stop practicing for any period of time, it's hard to accept where my body is.  Which is a huge part of yoga... accepting and embracing what is.  How funny, and how perfect.  So, yoga is back in my life and I could not be more excited.  I'll keep you posted on this journey as it evolves.

In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite yoga swag.  Here are some pieces of yoga gear I loooooove...

1.  My LUCY yoga pants!  They're amazing and I always feel hot in them - thanks for a great Christmas present Mom!
Lucy pants - woot!

2.  Prana tops!  I usually buy used stuff off of Ebay (inexpensive = key), but this one looks cute and functional.  Perhaps this year's Christmas present?
Prana Kathleen top
3.  Last but not least, yoga is possible on a hardwood floor with socks, but that sounds pretty hard for me.  Instead, I opt for my Gaiam yoga mat that I've literally had since high school... which is now officially a long time ago.  When did we get old? 

Check out all the super sweet Gaiam products here:
Gaiam mats... mine's lasted since the days of high school!


Happy Sunday!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment