Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This week I feel as if I've bumped into crazy news article after crazy news article.

Here is some food for thought.  This eight year old boy weighs 200lbs.  That's a lot for being eight without a genetic disease.  It's sad, it's crazy, it makes me want to pull my hair out, it makes me want to yell at congress for calling pizza a vegetable, but most of all, it breaks my heart.  This poor kid.  He's eight.  He doesn't know any better.  What are his parents doing (or not doing)?

Here is part 2 of this crazy story.  Child protective services took this child from his parents.  Yes.  Obesity is now considered neglect.  Read on for details: 200lbs 8 Year Old, Washington Post 2011

So here is the question.  What is more tragic?  That an eight year old weighs 200lbs, which really is only partially his fault since he's so young, or that the government confiscated him?  Or is it a good thing that the child is now in foster care?  I'm not sure I can decide.

But one thing I'm sure of, is that I'm tired of hearing this:  “It’s not only the parents or the child,” he said. “Obesity is an epidemic in the United States. As a society we’re all responsible.”  No, Dr. Naim Alkhouri.  Every day I choose exactly what I feed myself - from a candy cane, to a cookie, to an extra serving of vegetables, or waiting thirty more minutes to make it to my next planned meal.  Each bite of food I take is a personal choice. 

Is society today saturated with obesity?  Yes.  Do they make video games to help you get in shape?  Yes.  There is offiically no excuse.  WE have the outdoors, the gym, AND video games to help us.  Plus a wealth of information about fitness and nutrition on websites, blogs, videos, and in magazines, books, etc. 

Why did we decide now to get fat?  And what was the tipping point that made Americans realize we've gone too far?  I'm not sure I know the answer, but I did love "Pandora's Seed" by Spencer Wells.  It shed some light on the issue, and I recommend it if you're interested in learning about food, obesity, and our human history.

Part two of this problem, on the total other end of the spectrum, is photoshop, and it's portrayal of women.  Hello, real Kim Kardashian: Photoshop... KK and others.

What does everybody think?  Is the nutrition of children the responsibility of the government (ruled by lobbies, even in school cafeterias), parents (who sometimes don't know what they're doing or can't afford nutritious foods), kids regardless of age, society... who?!  How do we fix this?  We really need to save our youngest generation.

Opinions?  Please share!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment