Monday, November 14, 2011

Chocolate... an integral part of the balance!

How do you reconcile chocolate and the desire to be at least quasi healthy?  Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars!  They are the best.  I like to use the Banana/Mixed Berry baby food and this batch has some coffee in it too.  We will see how it goes!

Other than the amazing flavor, what I love about this recipe is how easy it is.  It takes about ten minutes to heat my oven, and in that time I get the whole batch ready.  This includes grinding oat flour (which is literally ground up oatmeal - I grind mine about 1/4 cup at a time in my coffee grinder) which I think is pretty impressive.

This recipe helps me with planning my food week.  Usually at the beginning of the week I make these and one other protein bar - pumpkin, lemon, etc... although I haven't mastered the lemon ones yet.  I can't get the texture as good as the chocolate ones.  In any case, this week I made these and also some baked parmesan/garlic chicken.  I made six pieces - enough for every day at lunch and one night of dinner.  This just helps me stay on point with my eating, since it's just as easy to heat up some chicken as it is to throw a pizza in the oven.

Here is the recipe for the protein bars... good luck and enjoy! 

PS - Nobody at my work believes these are good for you.  Really.

Chocolate Protein Bars

Calories:  96
Fat:  1.4 grams
Carbs:  12 grams
Protein: 10 grams

Ingredients:

1 cup Oat Flour
4 Egg Whites
2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
½ cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
8oz Berry flavored Baby Food
3 tbsp Baking Cocoa
4oz Water


No comments:

Post a Comment